Shabby Chic Magnet Board

Monday, February 7, 2011

I did this project over the summer and thought I'd share it with you. I have loved the magnet boards I have seen around the blogging world and decided that I needed to make one of my own. There are lots of tutorials out there for these. I probably will do one as soon as I get my patooty in gear and make over my daughter's room.  

But for now you are stuck with just a picture.


Basically, I found several frames for a dollar at Goodwill and snatched them up before any one else could grab them. I removed the glass and set it aside. You never know I might use it in another project in the near future. I spray painted one with a cream paint.  I picked up some sheet metal at Lowe's and used my tin snips to cut it to fit in the frame. 

Yes I actually own a pair or tin snips and no they are not my husbands!
I would recommend you wear some construction gloves as the metal is super sharp. 

I took my favorite stuff ever  . . .





Mod Podge and covered one side of the sheet metal with and laid down my chosen piece of fabric. I cheated and used what I had on hand. My handy dandy Cricut Scraper thingy. To get rid of any bubbles or wrinkles.



I let it dry a few hours. 
Ok it was a few days but that's because I have three kids. 

I then turned the sheet metal over and spread some more Mod Podge on  all the sides and used the scraper thingy again to get out any wrinkles or bubbles. I let that dry and then added two to three layers of Mod Podge on top and let it cure for 24 hours before I placed the metal into the frame. 

Once it was done I keep thinking it needs something else. Something to compliment the fabric and add some whimsy. So I whipped up some Kanzashi flowers  out of denim and added magnets to the back of them. 

Voila'!!!

Shabby Chic magnet board perfect for my office!

Here are a few more examples of a Magnet Boards. 




And this next one uses an actual Magnetic Dry Erase Board which is a great idea too!



If you make one. I'd love to see and post all of your craftiness here!
Have a great day and remember 

Make Life Creative!!!













No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hear your suggestions, questions, comments or just what you are working on at the moment. So Please comment!

ShareThis

 
Design by Deluxe Designs